So you’re interested in learning photography – congratulations! Photography is a fascinating, practical hobby as well as an exciting career choice. Learning photography takes a little bit of patience but in the end it’s all worth it. Let’s begin with benefits of why you should learn photography:
- The ability to record special events like a child’s birthday or the family’s vacations with clear, focused well composed photographs.
- Never missing another “Kodak moment” while searching for the right dial or button.
- Taking beautiful photographs that you and your loved ones proudly frame and display.
- Communicating through your photographs. A picture is truly worth a thousand words! You can capture an expression that says it all. Or as we’ve seen in countless magazines like Time and National Geographic, you can take pictures that educate and enlighten on just about any topic. You don’t have to be a professional photographer in order to take some great pictures.
- The ability to take a portrait in a home or outdoor setting that lets you capture the beauty of a loved one and make them want to see the portrait framed on a wall instead of sitting on the bottom of a box.
- Excitement! With a good telephoto lens you can take exciting images of wildlife and weather phenomena while still being a safe distance away. Imagine your friends reactions when they see these amazing photos you took framed on your walls.
- Fun! It’s fun to take photographs of people, places and things we love. It’s even more fun to take them after learning a few skills!
- Fortune and Fame! Many a photographer has gone on to win awards and make money be selling their images online. Others sell downloads at microstock photo sites like iStock. Some take pet portraits of their neighbors’ pets, and eventually start a business from there. Others become wedding photographers or get jobs working as photographers.
You may have some goals in mind that weren’t listed here. As mentioned the rewards of photography are many. To get started with beginning photography, all you need is a decent (not expensive) camera and a few basic skills and you’ll be on your way to achieving your photography goals.